Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Direct Instruction

I believe the step which is most easily left out is stating the objectives. Maybe it's because we feel like we're ruining some sort of surprise for our students. Maybe it's because we feel like they won't listen to something so mundane. I'm not really sure. I personally have a hard time with this step as well. It doesn't come naturally to me. I have to force myself to do it, and when I do, I feel like it sounds forced and unnatural. I just need to remember that even if it sounds a little formal and stiff, learners would much rather have a short bit of formal than spend the whole lesson wondering what they are learning.
Students will be tortured when #3, presenting new material, is flat. It is the step that requires students to do three of their least favorite things in the whole wide world: sit down, shut up, and listen! I'm also a little weak in this area. My thoughts sometimes wander, and I'm a little dry without student interaction to liven me up!
Guided practice allows students to be their own person for a bit compared to the presenting phase. I say that the guided practice step requires the most creativity from the teacher. The sky's the limit for this step, and the more creative, the better.
I have been so thrilled to hear everybody's direct instruction. It's really been a great part of learning in this class for me. From Moana's haka to Jim's hard apple cider, we really get to learn and grow and examine teaching in a real way!

1 comment:

  1. I agree... seeing everyone teach something that they enjoy has been really gratifying. Likewise, reading what everyone believes about this and that has been eye-opening, and I'm learning so much about good teaching from good teachers!

    ReplyDelete