Thursday, July 1, 2010

Concept Development for me

One way I can see how concept development would work for me is for a piece of our core that is labeled inquiry which is the process of researching a topic and presenting that research. If students could discover and define the concept of inquiry as a whole, they will learn the more specific information of how to cite a source correctly with more ease. I start talking about capitalizing this author's name and putting a comma between piece of information A and B and the students have no concept of why that is important or even have a place in their brain files to store that kind of information. A lot of those rules seem arbitrary and unneccessary to students, but when they understand the inquiry process as a whole, it makes more sense. I'm excited to try this model in a lot of different ways.

2 comments:

  1. You know, the comments you made help me see that WebQuests CAN be a "vehicle" to getting students to inquire, as well as getting them to create writing with required elements. Do YOU see that possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a post behind, but I can see how webquests really fall into inquiry in itself. It's kind of ironic that the content I was tying to this model was labeled 'inquiry'! I hadn't noticed that when I wrote the post. Funny.

    ReplyDelete